Sunday, May 13, 2018

Take Thou My Hand, O Father

Thank you to each who sent us notes of encouragement and have prayed for us these past few days.

Ed was able to come home from the hospital on Friday. It was so good to be together as a family again. Each day Ed gets a little stronger, but he still tires quickly. It seems strange that seizures could make him more tired than brain surgery. There is no incision and bandages, but those who said "you'll feel like you've been run over by a truck" know what you are talking about.

But in between naps, Ed is enjoying a game with the children, reading to the little ones, and chatting with friends who stop by. This morning we were able to go to church for part of the service before Ed's brain fatigue sent us home.

Recently I was reading But Not Forsaken by Helen Good Brenneman to our children. This book, set in Germany soon after World War 2, showed us the plight of the Russian Mennonite refugees. At the end of the book, the refugees sang the German hymn, "So nimm denn meine Hadende," which has been translated "Take Thou My Hand, O Father."

The author of this hymn, Julie Hausmann, had many trials in her life. Apparently she wrote this poem after traveling to Africa to join her fiance only to find that he had died a short time before of jungle fever.

My problems don't compare with the refugees who today are struggling to find for food and protection for their children in horrific situations. But I think that illness can break that feeling of security that we have on this earth and make us long for the safety of heaven.
These all died in faith...and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth...But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city. (Hebrews 11:13, 16)

Take Thou My Hand, O Father 
by Julie K. Hausmann
Translated from German by Herman Bruckner

Take Thou my hand, O Father,
And lead Thou me,
Until my journey endeth,
Eternally.
Alone I will not wander
One single day;
Be Thou my true companion
And with me stay.

O cover with Thy mercy
My poor, weak heart!
Let every thought rebellious
From me depart.
Permit Thy child to linger
Here at Thy feet,
And blindly trust Thy goodness
With faith complete.

Tho' naught of Thy great power
May move my soul,
With Thee thru night and darkness
I reach the goal.
Take, then, my hands, O Father,
And lead Thou me
Until my journey endeth
Eternally.
Amen.

You can listen to this hymn below. (Click over to the blog if you are reading by email and can't view it.)

15 comments :

  1. Beautiful hymn. We were talking today in Sunday school about not being able to enter Heaven because of unbelief and how unbelief is not just someone who says "I don't believe there is a God" but is really when I live like I don't believe there is a God. Or, put simply, unbelief is lack of trust. God bless you as you daily choose trust even when you cannot see the way. ❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve been following your blog since you only had four children! I pray for you and your husband morning and night and carry you and your family in my heart as you walk through this valley. I pray that you feel the continued peace of Jesus Christ in your life. I know you have dear family and friends close by to help with daily needs so I will continue to uphold your family in prayer. He will not forsake you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you all, from across the seas. God hears our prayers and says “I will never leave you or forsake you”.
    Blessings to your sweet family.
    Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Gina,
    I have rarely commented on your blog but have followed along with you and your wonderful family's story for a few years now.
    It saddens me to see the road that your loving husband and children's father is travelling. I hope that he travels lightly and the journey is a very long one. I am from Australia and although our lifestyles are very different we also still have many similar qualities in our lives.
    I am not an overly religous person, but I believe we all have a path to follow whether it be the the one we choose or not.
    I just want to wrap you all in my arms and pass on all ourlove and best wishes to you all.
    Take care
    Elizabeh (Jane)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure it is hard to live this journey that you are on at this time. I will continue to pray for Ed, you and your children in this time of trial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog when I started receiving CLE's Homeschool Friend magazine. I have enjoyed your writing, but am so sorry your path is so difficult right now. My mom is battling the road of stem cell transplant, and having many problems with Graft vs Host Disease. The road of cancer... We've prayed for you and will continue. May God be with you all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The words of this hymn or comforting. I'm sending you hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gina and Ed, just remember ... one day at a time, one prayer at a time. God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gina, I am so pleased Ed is home and is recovering a little. Thank you for the link to the hymn. I will listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so thankful to hear that Ed is back home. You and your family are in my thoughts very often, which leads me to ask the Father to lovingly care for you as you walk this hard, hard path. Just can't imagine........

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad to hear he is home, reading to his children, visiting with family and playing games. Some of the precious things in life!
    Continuing to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dearest Gina, you and your family are in my prayers. So thankful Ed is home. Praying God's grace daily. I'm Him........

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gina, I've read your blog for a long time, but haven't commented before. I just want you to know you, you husband and your family are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Continued prayers for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Continuing to pray for you all, I always say after I have had a seizure that I have have felt like ive been run over by a train, but a truck will do lol, God bless you all.
    Sue x

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails