Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Caramel Apple Coffee Cake



I know Home Joys already has lots of coffee cake recipes - thanks to Flo's generosity in sharing her many coffee cake recipes.  But this caramel apple coffee cake is one that I've made several times this fall - always to an appreciative audience.

I adapted this recipe from Southern Living. I use whole wheat flour. I suppose I want to pretend I'm making it better for me, but of course this is still firmly in the dessert category. You are welcome to use white flour if you prefer

Caramel Apple Coffee Cake

Caramel:
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup cream
1/4 cup honey

Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 2 minutes while stirring. Remove from heat and cool at least 15 minutes before serving. Store in fridge for up to a week. You will not need all of the caramel for this coffee cake, but it makes a great apple dip or ice cream topping.

Streusel Topping:
1 1/2 cup whole wheat or white flour
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup soft butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt

Mix together until well blended. Set aside.

Cake:
1/2 cup soft butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 cups whole wheat or white flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups peeled and diced apples

Beat butter and sugar. Beat in eggs. Mix in flour, baking powder, salt, milk, and vanilla. Pour batter into 9x13 pan. Top with apples. Drizzle with 1/2 cup caramel sauce. Sprinkle with all of the streusel topping.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. Cool for at least one hour. Drizzle with 1/2 cup of caramel sauce immediately before serving. Store cake in fridge.

7 comments :

  1. I made a very similar cake over the weekend,but it didn't have the streusel topping and the caramel syrup didn't contain honey..only brown sugar,cream and butter. I think I like your recipe better. We ate it,of course ! , but I thought it had room for improvement. After Thanksgiving,I'll try this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I miss the obvious! The recipe I was talking about is the one you have posted before as apple cake in 2010..oops. I didn't get it from here,but it's the same only with regular flour.

      Delete
  2. looks awesome how do you stay so thin eating this

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this sounds so delicious, Gina! I will be trying this one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gina, this recipe is simply wonderful! Thank you for sharing. I made it and we ate it with friends. Every one loved it! It is definitely a keeper and I will definitely make it again! Thank you again so much and may God richly bless you and your family

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails