Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Cheesy Zucchini Bites

Anyone want zucchini? We are eating zucchini daily but I cannot keep up. I pick at least a half a dozen every single day.

Today I cleaned out the fridge and gave a dishpan full of zukes to the children to make boats. I hate to waste food but unless a disaster strikes, I'll have another dishpan full by the end of the week. We have had abundant rain and no bug problems at all this year.

Some of our favorite ways to enjoy zucchini squash is Calico Squash and Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread. Remember the ugly pumpkin cookies last fall? My sister said she substituted the pumpkin for zucchini. I tried it and found a new favorite.



But the latest favorite zucchini recipe is these cheesy zucchini bites. So easy to make. And the first pan of these were eaten in minutes.

Give them a try - and if you need zucchini - you know where to come.

 

Cheesy Zucchini Bites

1/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste
3 cups shredded zucchini
2 eggs, slightly beaten

In bowl  mix onion, cheese, bread crumbs, and seasonings. Squeeze as much liquid from zucchini as possible. Toss in bowl with onion/cheese mixture. Toss eggs with remaining ingredients. Spoon onto baking sheet, pressing into flattened balls. Bake at 400 degrees for about 12-15 minutes or until slightly browned. Serve immediately.

14 comments :

  1. Do you have a dehydrator? That would take care of some of your overabundance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a dehydrator. At the moment I'm drying onions - and the whole house smells like it! Even though the dehydrator is sitting in the garage!

      But what would you do with dried squash? Add it to soup?
      Gina

      Delete
  2. I have used dried zuchs in soups, stews and casseroles in winter. Another option for fresh ones are chocolate zucchini brownies - YUK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In reply to your question about what I would do with dried squash: yes, I would add it to soup. I love soup, and make it often once cold weather comes, so I consider dried squash "money in the bank" for soup-making purposes. One example: tomato soup with dried squash and Italian herbs, plus - - if your children like them - - onions in there, too. And because they're mild in flavor, dried zucchini can be added to casseroles as a way to boost vegetable content without being obvious about it. Sometimes that's a problem for some folks, eating vegetables when you dislike them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just added a recipe for Mock Apple Crisp - which really is zucchini - in one of my most recent posts, over on my blog. Also, I have a link (because I posted this one other year...) for zucchini jam. It's pink!!! Maybe you have tried both of those before... but, if not... you're welcome to check them out. And - isn't it amazing? When some don't have a single one and others, like you say, have an overabundance? Blessings to you.

    I think of Psalm 24:1 The earth is the Lords and the fulness thereof...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't done a lot with zucchini, our favorite is a zucchini bread recipe baked in a cookie sheet. Frost and eat as bars! Yummy. I like to shred up lots and put 2 cups (what I need for that recipe) in a ziploc bag and freeze it to enjoy year round! Just thaw and add to the recipe juice and all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can freeze it shredded or can it shredded to use in the winter baking :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We like vegan zucchini muffins, and roasted zucchini. My mom and daughter would like the cheesy bites. We also add it to spaghetti sauces. Enjoy the abundance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for that recipe we are drowning in courgettes at the moment x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh My! I can't wait to try this recipe - thanks for sharing it!
    Last year we too had an over abundance of zucchini. We ate all could in every recipe we could think of then, I shredded & froze the rest in 1 pound portions. Throughout the winter and spring I've used it in zucchini bread & muffins, casseroles, soups, meatloaf & meatballs, omelets, dips, etc.
    Freezing the abundance was one of the best decisions I made.
    Blessings,
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also freeze shredded zucchini. I freeze it in pint bags then use it in chili and spaghetti sauce for that extra veggie. You never know it's in there!

      Delete
  10. Do you have any homeless shelters or soup kitchens close by that take produce? Ours here are always glad for people's excess garden produce. Thanks for the recipe.........I tried it tonight and we liked it. I am picking a ton of zucchini too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a wonderful problem! I used zucchini to make pickles one year when the cucumbers were more expensive (I'm not a gardener). It worked great. I also shred and freeze zucchini. There's a recipe for zucchini yeast rolls in Simply in Season that taste like Martin's potato buns :) I make them for burgers and such. I actually listed the shredded zucchini recipes I use and the amounts of zucchini needed in my supper notebook - so handy in the winter and a handy way to put away the zucchini.

    This recipe looks good. I make a zucchini "crab" cake that is fried that is similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margo
      I have made that zucchini yeast roll recipe - but I had forgotten about it! Thanks for the reminder!
      Gina

      Delete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails