Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Mom Time

And while the rest of the family roasted hot dogs and slept out under the stars?

I was at a ladies retreat. The stated goal of the retreat was to encourage women in ministry.

And encourage they did.

For a day and a half, we ladies were flooded with refreshment. We laughed and cried through challenging sessions and workshops. We were pampered with all the lovely things that ladies enjoy. I took no photos so just imagine candlelit dinner and tea, rose petal strewn halls, lovely decor, and food that looked and tasted absolutely delicious.

And then there was the fellowship. Singing, praying, and crying together with other sisters. Meeting new friends (including some of you Home Joys readers!) and renewing old acquaintances. Realizing that I'm not alone and there are dozens of other ladies with the same goals, desires, and challenges.

There is a million and one things I could share about the retreat. Right now I feel so full that if you'd squeeze me I'd drip. There was so much that I need to sit down and process. I want to spend some time this week discerning what it is the Lord wants me to do/change/be as a result of the truth I learned.

But as wonderful as the food, fellowship, and sessions were at this retreat...as thankful as I am for those who worked so hard to make it possible...the overwhelming gratitude I feel right now is toward my Lord.

The theme of the retreat was Redemption. After focusing on our Redeemer, Jesus Christ, and the hope He brings to shattered hearts - how could I not come away encouraged in the Lord? How could I not want to shout aloud about the richness of His abundant grace?

I will sing of my Redeemer,
And His wonderoud love to me:
on the cruel cross He suffered,
From the curse to set me free.

I will tell the wondrous story,
How my lost estate to save.
In His boundless love and mercy,
He the ransom freely gave.

I will praise my dear Redeemer,
His triumphant power I'll tell,
How the victory He giveth
Over sin, and death, and hell.

I will sing of my Redeemer,
And His heavenly love to me:
He from death to life hath brought me,
Son of God with Him to be.

Sing, Oh sing, of my Redeemr.
With his blood, He purchased me.
On the cross, He sealed my pardon,
Paid the debt, and made me free.
- P. P. Bliss

9 comments :

  1. So glad you could have this experience! Sounds wonderful. Curious where it was.

    And love the thing of Ed taking the children camping...such a fun memory making time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The retreat was held at Sharon Mennonite Bible Institute.
      Gina

      Delete
  2. Oh the joy of redemption! The words of that hymn never fail to encourage me. What a wonderful time you must have had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So thankful for your post today-as well as the link above to "Do you call this vacation!" Was feeling a bit of burnout, with all the gardening, church activities, helping with farmwork, and (lack of) prep for a new school year. I just needed to be reminded to focus on my Redeemer, and praise God for Who He is, and the many rich blessings of salvation, peace, joy, and my family! I can begin again with renewed energy and some praise music!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful hymn...makes my heart sing just reading the words! So glad you had a time of refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your post about the retreat. So happy you had a lovely, refreshing time. I have wanted to go to that retreat for several years and it always seems something else comes up that weekend. Maybe next year...and perhaps you will be there and then we can actually talk to one another. :) God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked hashing internet use with you. :) Did you ever blog about your day-a-week fast idea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...I may have mentioned it just briefly last year. Maybe I should use you all as my accountability!
      Gina

      Delete
  7. How wonderful. It sounds like you had a wonderful time. I could so benefit from an event like this right now. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails