Thursday, May 9, 2013

Rhubarb Upside Down Cake

Today we have a guest post by Cherlyn Beidler. I've admired her food photography and thrilled to have her stop by today.


Hi Home Joy readers! I'm so happy to be here and thanks to Gina for inviting me to share one of my recipes. My name is Cherlyn Beidler, and I love cooking! I think a big part of it is how much fun it is to feed my appreciative family.  I want to share with you a recipe for cake that got a great rating from my family. Rhubarb is a seasonal item so enjoy it while you got it!


















1. Choose fresh, crisp rhubarb.
 
2. Chop rhubarb into 1/4-1/2" pieces.
3.Melt butter in a medium-size skillet over low heat. Add brown sugar and diced rhubarb. Continue to fry for 2 more minutes.
Remove from heat and set aside. If you are not using a cast iron skillet remove the rhubarb from the pan to a small baking pan.
 4.Batter: In a small mixing bowl cream together butter and sugar.
5.Add egg and vanilla, mix until incorporated.
6.Combine flour, salt, and baking powder. Add flour mixture and milk to  batter and mix until combined.

 
7. Pour batter over the rhubarb. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes.
8.Remove from oven, and run a knife along the edges to loosen cake.
8.Turn upside down onto a plate. Serve hot or cold with milk or cream if desired.

Rhubarb Upside Down Cake

2 cups fresh rhubarb (approx. 3/4 lb.)

1 cup brown sugar

2 tablespoon butter

Batter:


1/4 cup butter

1 cup sugar

1 egg

2 cups flour

2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup milk

1 teaspoon vanilla


Choose fresh, crisp rhubarb. Chop rhubarb into 1/4-1/2" pieces. Melt butter in a medium-size skillet over low heat. Add brown sugar and diced rhubarb. Continue to fry for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. If you are not using a cast iron skillet remove the rhubarb from the pan to a small baking pan.


Batter: In a small mixing bowl cream together butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla, mix until incorporated. Combine flour, salt, and baking powder. Add flour mixture and milk to batter and mix until combined. Pour batter over the rhubarb. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes. Remove from oven, and run a knife along the edges to loosen cake. Turn upside down onto a plate. Serve hot or cold with milk or cream if desired.


Recipe adapted from the Mennonite Community Cookbook


Cherlyn is twenty one years old Christian girl, who lives with her Dad and Mom. She is the only girl in the family, right in the middle of six boys. Besides cooking, she read lots, sews some and does the book-work for her dad’s equipment business. She also writes a recipe column that runs several times a month in a local newspaper. She lives in a 200 year old farmhouse in the beautiful Susquehanna Valley of central PA.


Thanks Cherlyn for sharing your recipe!

9 comments :

  1. This sounds delicious! Thanks so much for sharing it. I have rhubarb so I think this is going to be our dessert tonight. Thanks again and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks good to me, and I'm not fond of rhubarb!
    Which newspaper carries Cherlyn's column? I'd enjoy finding it online.

    - - Philippa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is Farmshine - and I don't think it is online.
      Gina

      Delete
  3. It's delicious! My husband doesn't like rhubarb that much, but he did like this cake :-) It turned out green though, but that was because of me running out of normal sugar...lol...I 've used blue and pink and brown sugar and it turned out very ugly green, but the taste was the same. It was so funny to see this green messy cake :-)
    But thank you for the recipe, I'll write it in my recipe book!
    Greetings, Annemieke (from The Netherlands)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yummy! My momma used to make this as well as a strawberry/rhubarb one. How I do miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks totally delicious. Love the step by step directions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made this for my Dad's birthday last night and it was so yummy and moist!! Great recipe and use of rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'm going to make this. I've been blessed with 6 rhubarb plants at the farmhouse we moved to in the fall. I've been trying to use the rhubarb up, but I've hardly made a dent. Jams, crisps, pies, pound cake with strawberry rhubarb compote, and I've been fresh out of ideas. Thanks for the idea! And I'm going to subscribe to your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails